The Hon. Tricia Bigelow (Ret.) has led a distinguished career defined by a caring approach and a commitment to justice. From her tenure as a deputy attorney general, Municipal Court Judge and Superior Court Judge to her appointment as a Presiding Justice of the Court of Appeal, she’s gained a reputation throughout California for her ability to authentically connect with people. She serves as a neutral mediator, arbitrator and appellate consultant to help parties resolve any type of legal dispute.
As a mediator, Justice Bigelow takes the time to get to know each party’s story and provides fair, empathetic decisions that help parties avoid a jury trial. After 35 years as an attorney and judge, Justice Bigelow is more than a legal expert—she’s a calming force who uses her people skills to resolve even the most hostile disputes.
During her time on the bench, Justice Bigelow presided over complex cases involving high-profile companies and public figures. She has authored three books on California law and procedure and lectured extensively on judicial ethics and fairness, civil motions and trials, and other topics. Justice Bigelow chaired the Los Angeles Superior Court Civil Education Committee and served on the CACI jury instruction committee, which creates standardized jury instruction for the state’s judges. From 2006 to 2008, she was the Dean of the Bernard E. Witkin California Judicial College, where she oversaw the education of all new judges in the state of California.
Justice Bigelow serves on the Board of Advisors at Pepperdine University School of Law and has served on the Board of the Association of Business and Trial Lawyers, and the Commission on the Future of California’s Court System. She received the Bernard S. Jefferson Judicial Education Award from the California Judges Association and the Ronald M. George Award of Excellence (formerly the “Jurist of the Year Award”) from the California Judicial Council. She received the Alumnus of the Year Award from Pepperdine Law School in 2019.
- California Court of Appeal, 2nd District (Div. 8), Presiding Justice (2009 – 2021)
- Los Angeles County Superior Court, Judge (1998 – 2008)
- Los Angeles Municipal Court, Judge (1995 – 1998)
- Bank of America NT & SA, Assistant General Counsel (1984 – 2000)
- California Office of the Attorney General, Deputy Attorney General (1986-1995)
- J.D., Pepperdine University
- B.A., California State University, Fullerton
AWARDS, HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS
AWARDS, HONORS, MEMBERSHIPS
- Pepperdine Law School, Alumnus of the Year Award (2019)
- California Judges Association, Bernard S. Jefferson Award (2015)
- California Judicial Council, Ronald M. George Award of Excellence (2014)
- Los Angeles Superior Court Civil Education Committee, Chair
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Board of Advisors
- Association of Business and Trial Lawyers, Board
- Commission on the Future of California’s Court System, Board
- CACI Jury Instruction Committee, Member