Century City | Los Angeles | Oakland | Virtual Services
Hon. B. Scott Silverman (Ret.)
Mediator | Arbitrator | Judge Pro Tem | Discovery Referee | Parent Plan Coordinator
“A lot of people find the level of emotion in family law off-putting or upsetting. While I have occasionally been concerned, I like the fact that I am dealing with individual people and their real problems. I especially like helping solve problems for kids.”
- Business and Commercial Contracts
- Family Law
- Wage & Hour
- J.D., Hastings College of Law, Order of the Coif
- B.A., Stanford University with distinction
Hon. B. Scott Silverman (Ret.) brings 12 years of experience on the Los Angeles Superior Court to his role at Signature Resolution as a mediator, private judge, and arbitrator. He specializes in family law, labor/employment, and business/commercial disputes.
For most of his career on the bench, he presided in the family law department, including time in the long cause trial department and, for the last two years, the family law settlement conference division. While on the bench, he oversaw thousands of cases, including complex property, business valuation, child and spousal support, and child custody issues.
Prior to his appointment to the bench, he served as an associate and partner with Morrison & Foerster, where he handled employment and labor matters for 30 years. He established the firm’s labor and employment practice in Los Angeles and litigated wage/hour class actions, privacy and trade secret claims, labor arbitrations and wrongful discharge and harassment cases.
Before joining Morrison & Foerster, Judge Silverman was a law clerk to the Honorable Raymond Sullivan, Associate Justice of the California Supreme Court.
Attorneys describe him as insightful, creative, and willing to work until the matter is resolved. He describes his style as both facilitative and evaluative, switching between both to help parties come together.
- Judge, Los Angeles County Superior Court (2018–2019)
- Superior Court Commissioner, Los Angeles County Superior Court (2007–2008)
- Partner and Associate, Morrison & Foerster (1977–2007)
- Law Clerk to Associate Justice Raymond Sullivan, California Supreme Court (1975–1977)
Professional Achievements and Memberships
- Family Law Judge of the Year, American Inns of Court, Southern California Chapter (2019)
- Distinguished Jurist Award, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Southern California Chapter (2018)
- James A. Cobey Judge of the Year Award, Constitutional Rights Foundation (2016)