Hon. Dalila C. Lyons (Ret.)
Mediator | Arbitrator
“My experience, strong people skills, and tenacity allow me to carefully read the room and provide critical insight to facilitate a resolution.”
- Business and Commercial Contracts
- Civil Rights
- Elder Abuse
- Government & Public Sector Disputes
- Intellectual Property
- Inverse Condemnation
- Personal Injury
- Product Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Real Estate
- J.D., University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law
- International Tax & Business Lawyer Journal and La Raza Law Journal
- International Business Law/Mexican Legal System Program, Mexico City
- B.S., University of Southern California
- USC School of Public Policy, Washington, D.C.
- White House Intern, President’s Office for Hispanic Affairs
- Latin American Literature Program, Guadalajara, Jalisco
- Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine School of Law
- Mediating the Litigated Case (40-hour training), 2021
After serving 18 years on the bench in the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Hon. Dalila Corral Lyons (Ret.) is bringing her exceptional skillset to Signature Resolution. During her last three years on the bench, Judge Lyons was a highly regarded full-time settlement judge conducting mandatory settlement conferences, where she has proven success in resolving complex and challenging disputes.
Known for her persistence, innovative skills, empathy, and preparedness, Judge Lyons has a demonstrated ability to connect with litigants. She establishes trust by creating an environment that encourages open communication, enabling her to understand each party’s perspective and identify issues that impact settlement positions. Judge Lyons’ diverse experience as an attorney and as a judge gives her the unique ability to evaluate and flesh out the cases’ strengths and weaknesses in order to reach a resolution. Her aptitude in this space has inspired a true passion for mediation, leading her to continue her career in dispute resolution in the private sector.
Judge Lyons is a highly respected judicial leader, having been appointed to prestigious positions that enhance her mediator skills. She was appointed by the California Supreme Court Chief Justice as a voting member of the California Judicial Council, the policy making board for the judicial branch. The Chief Justice also appointed her as vice-chair of the Judicial Council’s Rules Committee, and member of the Judicial Council’s Executive and Litigation Committees. Furthermore, she was appointed by the court’s Presiding Judge as Site Judge of the Spring Street Courthouse, Assistant Supervising Judge of the Civil Division, and member of the Community Outreach Committee, Technology Committee, Chair of the New Judges Orientation, and Governing Board of the Judicial Education Seminars.
Judge Lyons has taught various classes to judicial officers and attorneys, including effective settlement techniques. As an attorney, she taught employment discrimination, motion picture finance, liability risk prevention and public safety legal issues. Additionally, Judge Lyons has been honored with numerous awards, including the Judicial Excellence Award by the Mexican American Bar Association. Prior to serving as a judge, she was the chief legal advisor for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, a senior deputy county counsel for the Office of the Los Angeles County Counsel, and a litigation associate at both Rosenfeld, Meyer & Susman and Pettit & Martin.
In these varied positions, Judge Lyons’ experience has spanned a wide range of practice areas including business disputes, employment, entertainment, civil rights, construction, government torts, and real estate, among others:
Judge Lyons has experience with a breadth of business disputes stemming from her time as a business litigator. She recently oversaw settlements involving high-profile breaches of contract, trade secret appropriation, and unfair competition.
Judge Lyons has extensive experience as a judge and an attorney in employment discrimination, wrongful termination, retaliation, and employment harassment litigation. In addition, as an independent calendar judge at the Stanley Mosk Courthouse, she presided over employment trials, motions, and settlements. Judge Lyons has also adjudicated and settled employment class actions, including employee misclassification, wage and hour, and PAGA claims.
Prior to her appointment to the bench, Judge Lyons worked in entertainment litigation with Rosenfeld, Meyer & Susman. She handled cases regarding net profits, licensing, intellectual property, royalties, breach of fiduciary, errors and omissions insurance on television and motion pictures, and music. She recently settled a high-profile royalties dispute between a producer and artist.
Judge Lyons experience in personal injury cases include wrongful death, product liability, medical malpractice, and negligence. Months prior to her leaving the bench, she settled a case involving a gas pipe explosion causing personal and property damage.
Real Estate, Construction, Landlord/Tenant
Judge Lyons has handled disputes involving title to real property, landlord/tenant, property boundaries, easements, construction defect, habitability, commercial leases, inverse condemnation, and eminent domain.
Judge Lyons has adjudicated and settled numerous cases alleging defamation, invasion of privacy, and false light involving media companies, influencers, and radio and TV personalities.
Healthcare and Residential Care Providers
Judge Lyons has adjudicated and settled healthcare industry, residential care and rehabilitation provider disputes involving reimbursement of claims, negligence, fraud, and wrongful death.
Judge Lyons has adjudicated and settled cases involving high-profile sexual abuse and assault of students.
Partnership Disputes, Corporate Governance
Judge Lyons has adjudicated and settled disputes involving partnerships, joint ventures, and governance of entities such as corporations and religious organizations.
- Judge, Judicial Mandatory Settlement Conferences, Los Angeles County Superior Court (2020–2023)
- Judge, Civil Division, Los Angeles County Superior Court (2015–2020)
- Judge, Criminal Division, Los Angeles County Superior Court (2005–2015)
- Chief Legal Advisor, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (1997–2005)
- Senior Deputy County Counsel, General Litigation Division, Office of the Los Angeles County Counsel (1990–1997)
- Litigation Associate, Rosenfeld, Meyer & Susman (1987–1990)
- Litigation Associate, Pettit & Martin (1984–1987)
Professional Achievements and Memberships
- Member, Judicial Advisory Council, Association of Business Trial Lawyers (2020—2023)
- Seminar Leader, B.E. Witkin Judicial College of California (2022)
- Panelist, Resolve Law LA, Virtual Settlement Conferences (2022)
- Panelist, Southwestern Law School, Effective Settlement Skills (2022)
- Chair, Judicial Opportunities Committee, California Latino Judicial Officers Association (2020—2022)
- Vice-Chair, Rules Committee, California Judicial Council (2020—2022)
- Member, Executive Committee, California Judicial Council (2020—2022)
- Instructor, B.E. Witkin Judicial College of California (2020)
- Site Judge, Spring Street Courthouse (2018—2023)
- Member, Litigation Section Executive Committee, LACBA, (2018—2023)
- Assistant Supervising Judge, LASC Civil Division (2018—2019)
- Member, Board of Governors, Association of Business Trial Lawyers (2017—2020)
- Member, LASC Technology Committee (2017—2018)
- Mujer Leader, Latina Lawyers Association (2017)
- Instructor, LASC New Judges Orientation (2016)
- Chair, LASC New Judicial Officers Education (2015—2023)
- Member, LASC Governing Board, Judicial Education Seminars (2015—2023)
- Instructor, LASC Judicial Education Seminars (2015—2022)
- Mentor, judicial candidates (2015—2022)
- Mentor, Mexican American Bar Association Law Student Mentor Program (2015—2020)
- Voting Member, California Judicial Council (2015—2022)
- Member, Litigation Committee, California Judicial Council (2015—2020)
- Member, Board of Directors, California Latino Judicial Officers Association (2015—2020)
- Chair, Los Angeles Latino Judges Association (2015—2020)
- Member, LASC Community Outreach Committee (2015—2019)
- Recipient, USC Alumni Merit Award, University of Southern California (2015)
- Recipient, USC Alumni Spotlight Recognition, USC Latino Alumni Association (2014)
- Recipient, Judicial Excellence Award, Mexican American Bar Association (2006)
- Recipient, Distinguished Service Award, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (2004)
- Recipient, Breaking the Glass Ceiling Award, National Center for Women and Policing (2003)
- Recipient, Outstanding Legal Services Commendations, Los Angeles County (2000—2004)
- Motivational Speaker, law schools/colleges/high schools (2000—Present)
- Instructor, County of Los Angeles (employment discrimination/public safety law) (1996—2000)
- President & Member, Board of Directors, The Vikki Carr Scholarship Foundation (1989—2005)
Judge Lyons is fluent in Spanish.