Hon. Clifford L. Klein (Ret.)
Mediator | Arbitrator | Judicial & Discovery Referee
“Throughout my career, I’ve seen how heated and emotional these types of cases can become. As a mediator at Signature Resolution, I’ll aim to bring a calm and reasoned approach to help people resolve their most difficult disputes.”
- Legal Malpractice
- Probate, Trust & Estates
- Trust & Estates
- J.D., Boalt Hall School of Law, U.C. Berkeley
- B.A., with high honors, Political Science, U.C. Riverside
Hon. Clifford L. Klein (Ret.) joined Signature Resolution after a distinguished career as a superior court judge and as a prosecutor in the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office. At Signature Resolution, he focuses on matters involving probate and trusts and estates, taking a calm and reasoned approach to help parties solve their most difficult disputes.
Judge Klein began his career as a deputy district attorney in Los Angeles County, where he prosecuted a variety of criminal cases. After becoming a superior court judge, he presided over the implementation of the nation’s first full-time juvenile mental health court, which addressed cases involving juvenile delinquents with serious mental health issues.
After transitioning to criminal court for many years, Judge Klein was then assigned to the probate court, where he presided over cases involving estates and trusts, guardianships, and probate conservatorships. He has overseen the probate cases of numerous public figures, entertainers, and business leaders.
In addition to his work as a judge and prosecutor, Judge Klein is well- known in the legal field for his service in organizations including the California Judges Association, the Los Angeles County Bar, the Center for Judicial Education and Research, and the Executive Committee of the Los Angeles Superior Court.
- Judge, Superior Court of Los Angeles County (2001–2021)
- Prosecutor, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office (1975–2000)
Professional Achievements and Memberships
- Member, California Judges’ Probate Law Curriculum Committee (2018–2020)
- Coordinator, Judicial Seminars Series (2011–2018)
- Executive Committee, Los Angeles Superior Court (2013–2014)
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Litigation Section Executive Committee (2010–2014)
- Member, California Judges’ Criminal Law Curriculum Committee (2010–2014)
- California Chief Justice’s Statewide Task Force for Criminal Justice Collaboration on Mental Health Issues (2009–2014)
- Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Criminal Justice Mental Health Project (2014–2017)
- Chair of Mental Health Subcommittee, Probate and Mental Health Advisory Committee (2008–2011)
- Vice-Chair and Chair, CJER Science and the Law Education Committee (2007–2009)
- Board of Directors, California Judges Association (2006–2009
- Board Liaison to CJA Probate and Mental Health Committee (2006–2009)
- Chair, CJA Elections Committee (2005)