“I’m transparent and optimistic: I work hard to build trust so folks share information openly, engage candidly, assess risk honestly, and identify reciprocal opportunities for resolution.”
- Class Action
- Wage & Hour
- Program on Negotiation: Mediation, Harvard Law School
- J.D., UC Berkeley School of Law
- Ph.D., Stanford University
- M.A., Stanford University
- B.A., Stanford University
David S. Phillips joined Signature Resolution as a mediator after more than 25 years of representing both plaintiffs and defendants. His background has taught him to carefully evaluate the legal risks and rewards faced by parties. He understands the challenges and opportunities motivating plaintiffs and defendants, as well as their respective counsel.
With 10 years in employment litigation, Mr. Phillips has resolved emotionally charged disputes like gender, race, age, disability, and sexual orientation discrimination, as well as harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination. He is also fully versed in all aspects of wage-and-hour class action. Mr. Phillips has handled complex business and commercial disputes, high– profile casualty loss and insurance bad– faith claims, as well as a wide variety of privacy, intellectual property, and malpractice lawsuits.
He brings the full spectrum of evaluative and facilitative skills to his role as mediator and helps the parties identify their core interests and evaluate their legal risks and opportunities as a catalyst to create a positive resolution. His experience and expertise empower him to assist clients in managing risk and optimizing results.
- Partner, Gordon & Rees LLP (2012–2018)
- Private Practice, Law Offices of David S. Phillips (1993–2012)
- Associate, Milbank, Tweed, Handley & McCloy LLP (1991–1993)
Professional Achievements and Memberships
- Member, The LGBT Bar Association of Los Angeles (2018)
- Member, California Employment Lawyers Association (2018)
- Labor & Employment Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association (2018)
- Member, United States Supreme Court (2004)
- Ninth Circuit, United States Court of Appeals (1995)
- Northern and Central Districts of California, United States District Court (1991)
- Member, California State Bar (1991)